Financial Aid

Did you know that more than 75% of college students pay for their education with grants and scholarships?

The LSCO Financial Aid staff is dedicated to helping you find the right type of financial aid and to making the financial aid process as straightforward as possible.

Financial assistance available through our office includes federal, state and local aid – grants, loans, work-study, veteran’s assistance, and scholarships.

Where to Start

Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA now at FAFSA.gov (Free Application Federal Student Aid) This FAFSA asks for the 2016 tax return information. The data retrieval tool is available.  

Use School Code Number: 016748.

When To Apply

Application should be made each spring for the following award year. The award year begins with each Fall semester. Priority deadlines are as follows:

• Fall and Spring: June 1
  • Summer: May 1
  • Scholarships allocation deadline for the Fall semester is June 15 and Dec. 15 for the Spring semester. (No applications will be accepted after this date)

Financial Aid Forms

Types of Aid Available Grants

Federal Pell Grant - The Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded grant based upon financial need as determined by the information received from the FAFSA.

Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) - TPEG Grants are based on financial need and are designed to assist students in enrolling and remaining in college. Priority consideration is given to applicants who do not qualify for the Pell Grant.

Towards Excellence Access and Success Grant (TEXAS) - Texas Grants are based on financial need and the high school curriculum of the student as well as other guidelines. For more information on this and other state programs, please visit www.collegeforalltexans.com.

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG) - TEOG Grants are based on financial need and are designed to provide grants to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public two-year colleges. For more information on this and other state programs, please visit www.collegeforalltexans.com.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - SEOG Grants are available to students who demonstrate exceptional need. Because funding is limited, priority is given to those who receive Pell Grants and meet application deadlines.

Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) - ACG grants are available for students who are eligible to receive a PELL grant and have completed a rigorous high school curriculum.

Loans

Short-Term Loans - Short-term loans are available during registration for fall and spring semesters. Loans may be made to eligible students as temporary aid to assist in paying their tuition and fees. Students may obtain promissory notes in the Financial Aid Office.

Stafford Loans - Federal Stafford Loans are available through the Federal Family Educational Loan (FFEL) Program. The funds for Stafford Loans come from a bank, credit union or other lender that participates in the FFEL Program. In order to apply for Stafford Loans students must complete the FAFSA form. First-time borrowers at LSCO must also complete an online entrance counseling session.

Stafford Loans must be repaid. Stafford Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government pays interest on the loan ("subsidizes" the loan) until repayment begins and during authorized periods of deferment. An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. Interest is charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

The FFEL Programs also offer Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) - Loans for parents of dependent students. In this program the parent is responsible for repaying the loan.

Students with previous loans should remain with the same lender.

Applying for Direct Loans

College Work Study - Students with documented financial need are eligible to apply for part-time employment. Employment will be either on campus or in a community service setting (e.g. GOALS - Greater Orange Area Literacy Service). Applications for student employment may be obtained in the Advising and Counseling Office.

Scholarships - Scholarships are available through the LSCO Financial Aid Office and various other sources. Possible sources include, but are not limited to, organizations within the community, foundations, corporations, the parents' and/or the student's employer, churches, fraternities, sororities and various non-profit organizations. Information concerning scholarship sources can be found through numerous publications available in the library, via the Internet and by contacting the student's high school counselor.

LSCO Scholarship Application and Search Sites

Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Statement

Students receiving financial aid are required by federal regulations to be making satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate program. Copies of the standards of satisfactory progress are available in the Financial Aid Office and are distributed to all students receiving state and/or federal funds.

Standards of Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Procedures

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form

Withdrawal Policy

Because of the Department of Education's withdrawal policy, students receiving Pell Grants who withdraw from school before 60 percent of the semester is complete may have to repay portions of their grants. Students will be ineligible to receive any future assistance until satisfactory repayment arrangements have been made.

Contact Us

Feel free to contact us for guidance through the application process.

Phone: 409-882-3317

Email: finaid@lsco.edu

In Person: 

Office of Financial Aid

410 Front Street, Orange, Texas 77630

Inside the Ron E. Lewis Library on the third floor

Office Hours:

Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.